Sunday, February 19, 2006

...scraping the barrel...

I used to work in a music store, an expereince which made hornby's 'high fidelity' feel like a fictional deja-vu. Trying to keep on top of new cd releases, as well as gaining sufficient background knowledge, became a full time job. Too bad I also had to waste so much time to attending to customers whose idea of jazz was kenny g...Anyways, once I month I had to do what I called an 'update' session...well, it really was just me listening to new music...but how do you pick new cds that you haven't heard of ? You don't know what you're after so how do you know what you're looking for...What I did was pick stuff on the cover. I'd go through all the cds in whatever was my favorite genre at that time and pick out 10-15 cds with what I thought was striking covers. about 75% of the time the music was equally striking...I therefore adapted quite an affinity for the cover artform. Naturally, when I was learning myself photoshop, a process which I found worked better through doing than reading, I made covers for imaginary bands. I came up with a name and a genre, and made a cover...these covers I will now show to you...enjoy!

ps. if you do have a real band and want a cover, let me know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home